There are many types of short and long-term volunteer opportunities available through those organizations and the others listed below. Here are 10 ways you can help:
- Visit a wounded veteran at the hospital.
- Offer your home repair skills to a veteran or military family.
- Create an online neighborhood user group that can be used to share information about neighborhood activities, recommend reliable repair companies, and find babysitters. An online group may also help identify the needs of your neighbors.
- Volunteer your financial, legal, or career expertise via MilServe.
- Deliver a meal or care packages to veterans.
- Help a veteran tell their story through a project such as the Veteran’s History Project. You can download a VHP field kit from the Library of Congress website.
- Volunteer with an organization, such as Canine Companions for Independence, that provide therapy dogs to veterans.
- Offer a vet a ride by volunteering with the Disabled American Veterans (DAV) organization, which provides free transportation to men and women unable to travel to VA medical facilities on their own.
- Visit serve.gov and use keyword “veterans” to find more opportunities to serve our nation’s veterans.
- Say “Thank You”.