Councilwoman Tiffanie Fisher:
What: North End Redevelopment Plan Community Meeting
Where: Wallace School, 11th and Willow
When: Thursday 9/28 from 7:30 – 9:30
I believe that the focus of the development plan for the area needs to primarily be commercial – office with ground floor retail and services. Commercial development would:
- Allow us more tax revenues with less need for additional municipal services (like schools, police, etc.)
- Result in less competition for our already crowded transportation systems – public and roads
- Bring a complementary daytime population to support our local businesses – many restaurants are empty during the day
- Provide more opportunities for people to live and work in Hoboken
- Be less demanding on our aging infrastructure
- Invite the opportunity to have a new transportation stop in the area
This meeting will be moderated by a professional planning firm, but it is critical that we make sure that we are thinking not only about the neighborhood aesthetics, but also the macroeconomic factors that work best for Hoboken. Additionally, our development community – many whom own the land in the North End – will typically prefer to build large-scale, high rise residential buildings. This type of development is low risk with the highest returns. Unfortunately, I believe our City cannot take much more of this.
So please come Thursday night to listen, learn and contribute. This is our City, and it is up to us to determine what works best for us. Remember, more voices are always better!
Looking forward to seeing you on Thursday.